Monday, April 20, 2020

My Top 10 Games Featured on the GameFAQs.com Game of the Decade List

Hey all, and welcome to another video game listing. In fact, this is the same listing I did 10 years ago, but with the last decade rather than the one before. Can you believe that I've had this website for almost a decade??! I can't!

I wrote this exact same article nearly 10 years ago, to read it click here.

So, another decade, another GameFAQs poll tournament. Despite certain articles I've written suggesting otherwise, I do still have a lot of time for GameFAQs and love participating in their tournaments. I'm intrigued to know what will win this tournament. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask won it last time. My guess? Either The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

So these are, to me, my 10 favourite games of the 128 that have been put down for the tournament. Let's go!

#10: South Park: The Stick of Truth
Available On: PC, PS3, PS4, XBox 360, XBox One, Nintendo Switch
Original Release: 2014
My Rating: ****1/4 stars
Just as an aside, this was the last game I thoroughly played on my XBox 360 before I moved on to the Playstation 4.

For me, this game is terribly underrated. I had so much fun playing it, for me it's one of the funniest games ever created. If you're a South Park fan, and you love RPG games, it's a MUST play. It looks and feels like South Park, and the combat system, while takes a lot of inspiration from Final Fantasy X, is solid. It truly was a spectacular game.

#9: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Available On: PC, PS Vita, Playstation 4, Nintendo 3DS
Original Release: 2012
My Rating: ****1/4 stars
I first heard about the Zero Escape games probably about 2 or 3 years ago. I saw the trailer for the first game (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors) and pencilled it as a game I wanted to play at some point. I actually only played through the games back in December of last year.

I'm telling you now - get the Nonary Games. It's available on PC or PS4. The games are simply incredible when it comes to storytelling, plot twists and keeping you on your toes.

When it comes to individual titles in the series, Virtue's Last Reward is arguably the most famous of the trilogy, but for me, "999" is a better game. That takes nothing away from this title, it's a solid title and well worth your time. The puzzles are intricately detailed and, as stated above, the story is fantastic. My advice however would be to play them in order, although they are an experience individually too.

#8: The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
Available On: PC, Playstation 3, PS Vita, Playstation 4, XBox 360, XBox One, Nintendo Switch
Original Release: 2012
My Rating: ****1/4 stars
This is another game that took me longer to finish than it should. All the Walking Dead video games by Telltale Games are fantastic but unfortunately they couldn't improve on the first series. The story between Lee and Clementine is so beautiful, you forget these are fictional characters. It almost feels real, responding to Clementine's difficult questions during this apocalyptic zombie world. It's a shame that Telltale Games probably won't be making any more games, because I truly don't know if they made a bad game, sure there's some that are better than others, and perhaps none better than this first season of Walking Dead, but they really did know how to work this multichoice narrative style of gaming.

#7: Heavy Rain
Available On: PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4
Original Release: 2010
My Rating: ****1/2 stars
I'll confess to never having a PS3, in that one generation of gaming I changed my allegiances to the XBox 360. There was always one game that was, at the time, a PS3 exclusive that I always wanted to play, and that was Heavy Rain. It wasn't until it was bundled with Beyond Two Souls and put on PS4 that I finally got to play this absolute gem. When it comes to doing a game in the style of a movie, this game really, for me, is the first to do the narrative drama perfectly. The visuals are stunning for 2010, the music is incredibly fully of suspense, the characters are well acted and animated and, of course, the choices you make were difficult to make and lead to some brilliant plot twists. Heavy Rain truly pioneered this genre and the game still plays brilliantly today.

#6: Resident Evil 7
Available On: PC, Playstation 4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch
Original Release: 2017
My Rating: ****1/2 stars
I've reviewed this game for this website, you can view it here.

Resident Evil 7 returned the series to its roots and boy it delivered well. The game really did go above and beyond grossing us out and making us feel tense again. It had been such a long time since we had those feelings and it was so good. Sure, the game, as it goes on, gets less nervy but in fairness most horror games fall into that trap. I genuinely didn't see the plot twist coming at the end of the game and all the characters played their parts very well. It's well worth your time if you want a fantastic horror game on the modern consoles.

#5: Grand Theft Auto V
Available On: PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, XBox 360, XBox One
Original Release: 2013
My Rating: ****1/2 stars
I can imagine some people being surprised that this game "only" got to #5 in my list considering how popular it is. Don't get me wrong this is a blockbuster title and an instant classic. My main issue with this game is that I truly don't think that Rockstar have really elevated the series since San Andreas. That takes nothing away by how damn good it is, but I can honestly say that this game doesn't add much more than the PS2 era games. That all being said it's an absolutely brilliant game, and the best thing about it for me is the three main characters, and, of course, particularly Trevor Phillips, who has become one of the best video game characters of all time. The dialogue, atmosphere and tensions between the three characters is truly a joy to watch and is the main reason why the game is so good. Heists are a big ball of joy too, and some of the side missions are hilarious.

#4: Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver
Available On: Nintendo DS
Original Release: 2010
My Rating: ****1/2 stars
For me, this is THE most complete Pokemon game ever made. I always loved Pokemon Gold and Silver on the Game Boy Color, and loved how it was the only games in the series that allowed you to go to two different locations and get a total of 16 gym badges. I loved the day and night system and it was back in the days where adding 100 new Pokemon or so felt like a big deal. So when it got the remake treatment, I wasn't disappointed. It's still the only Pokemon games that allow you to traverse between two places and get those badges. Also the final battle of the game (as in, the REAL final battle) feels just as epic as it did the first time. The visuals really did make the most of the power of the DS at the time. Simply for me, this is the ultimate Pokemon experience and you must play it if you haven't before and you like what the games have to offer.

#3: Resident Evil 2
Available On: PC, Playstation 4, XBox One
Original Release: 2019
My Rating: ****1/2 stars
For a very long time I wished for a Resi 2 Remake. The original back in 1998 was a truly incredible experience for so many people that I really felt that it could do with a modern touch. And while it falls ever so short of the original in my eyes, this is by far the best Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 4. It's a truly amazing experience, the gameplay so damn slick, the monsters are truly horrifying, the attention to detail in the gore is incredible, specifically when you take out the zombies limb by limb. Tyrant, otherwise known as Mr X is as terrifying as he was back in the day. William Birkin's transformations are so well done. The main thing that lets the game down is the serious lack of a proper "B" campaign for Leon and Claire, they were so good in the original and were a serious afterthought in the Remake. Otherwise, this is the best modern Resident Evil experience we have today and I implore you to play it.

#2: Portal 2
Available On: PC, Playstation 3, XBox 360
Original Release: 2011
My Rating: ****3/4 stars
I've reviewed this game, to read it click here.

Over the past 9 years, two games came out in 2011 that, for me, were truly incredible gaming experiences. At the time I wasn't sure what I preferred, and after a lot of deliberation, I went with Portal 2. Over time my feelings have changed, but that doesn't take anything away from how amazing this game is.

Portal 2 is truly a game you must play before you die. It's gutwrenchingly funny, clever, with excellent plot twists and some of the best puzzles any video game has to offer. It improves on the original in every way possible and delivers a 6-8 hour masterpiece. It's such a damn shame that Valve haven't brought this classic to PS4 because I'd totally buy it for my modern system. Thankfully I have it on my PC to play whenever I boot this damn thing up. Seriously play this game. I mean it!

#1: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Available On: PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, XBox 360, XBox One, Nintendo Switch
Original Release: 2011
My Rating: ****3/4 stars
As I stated above, two amazing games came out in 2011 and they're both amazing in so many different ways. I used to say I preferred Portal 2 to Skyrim but now I honestly don't know how true that is. Skyrim has aged like a fine wine (so has Portal 2 but... anyway), and still for me is the ultimate modern RPG experience. Sure there are those who will say that the game was improved by The Witcher 3, but I just don't agree. For me, Skyrim just feels so good, it's close to perfection. I love the stories, the side quests, the levelling up system, the excellent characters but above all, I absolutely love the province that is Skyrim itself. It's such a wonderful place to be, I love the snowy mountains, certain cities in the game, and how this Dragonborn makes such a difference to this part of the world of Tamriel. For me it's simply one of the best games of all time, and the best gaming experience, for me, in the last decade.

Well I hope you enjoyed the list. I'm sure you'll disagree with certain entries and be distraught that some of your favourite games didn't make the cut. What for you are the best games of the last 10 years? Comment below. Until next time, stay safe, take care and see you soon!

For the latest updates on my work, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment