Thursday, July 12, 2018

My Top 50 Favourite Playstation 1 Games: #2

If you missed #3 click here.

#2 - Resident Evil 2
Released: 1998
Genre: Horror
Rating: ****3/4 stars
Best Moment: Again, choosing one moment is super tough. Mr X on the "B" campaigns has some amazing jump scare moments. But if I have to narrow it down to one, it has to be the first time you see a Licker - it's one of the best moments in video game history.
When I first saw Resident Evil 1 back in the nineties I was mindblown... and terrified. I'd never seen a horror video game before and what they did with Resident Evil 1 was really scary, even if it does look dated now.

But then Resident Evil 2 happened. Resi 2 for me is possibly the best in the entire series, or at least on par with Resi 4. But back in 1998, everything Resident Evil 1 did before it was enhanced so much in Resi 2. The horror was better, the graphics were sublime, the characters were more engaging and the acting was a huge improvement. The storyline was brilliant, and how they managed to get, in theory, 4 different stories in two different scenarios was impressive. The monsters were far more terrifying on the whole, and the two big bad guys, Mr X and William Birkin were tremendous and frightening in very different ways. Speaking of William Birkin - if you haven't read my tribute to his greatness, you can read it here. Let's put it this way, I cannot WAIT to see him in the fully fleshed out remake.

Resi 2 for me is simply one of the best games ever made. It's certainly one of the best horror games ever, if not THE best horror game of all time. I've completed this game more than any other Resi game and for good reason. It's just a classic in every way possible.

We're finally here. Click here to find out what came in at #1 in my countdown of my Top 50 Playstation 1 Games!


For the latest updates on my work, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment