Hey there, welcome to my new Mixtape. The Noughtie series aside, this is the first Mixtape I’ve done for this site. This is a Mixtape of my favourite collaborations in music. By collaboration, the definition I’ve used is a group and a singer, or two singers, who don’t work together on a regular basis, in the same song. There’s has to be at least two voices, for instance, as great as Mark Ronson’s version of “Just” is, he doesn’t sing so it’s not even in contention. Not familiar with my Mixtapes? Here are the rules of the Mixtape.
A Mixtape is a playlist of a certain genre, band or era. The list is generally 80 minutes long, the same length of a blank CD, with further recommendations if some of the songs aren't to your taste. Remember kids, downloading is wrong!
So with that out of the way, here are my favourite music collaborations!
- I Just Had Sex - The Lonely Island and Akon
- Stan – Eminem and Dido
- SexyBack - Justin Timberlake and Timbaland
- Walk This Way – Aerosmith and Run-DMC
- Forgot About Dre - Dr. Dre and Eminem
- Throw it on Me – Timbaland and The Hives
- Another Way to Die - Jack White and Alicia Keys
- Living Doll - Cliff Richard and The Young Ones
- Under Pressure – Queen and David Bowie
- Meds – Placebo and Alison Mosshart
- This Mess We're In - PJ Harvey and Thom Yorke
- Nightclubbing - David Bowie and Iggy Pop
- Hands of Death - Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper
- Break You Down – Godhead and Marilyn Manson
- Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer - Linkin Park and Jay-Z
- Act III Scene 2 (Shakespeare) - Saul Williams and Zach de la Rocha
- Get It Up - Mindless Self Indulgence and Chantal Claret
- I'm Afraid of Americans (V1) - David Bowie and Trent Reznor
- Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown) - Tenacious D and Dave Grohl
Want some alternatives? Here’s five more:
- The Omen - DMX and Marilyn Manson
- Gold Digger - Kanye West and Jamie Foxx
- Where the Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and Kylie Minogue
- The Ballad of Queen Bee and Baby Duck - The Eagles of Death Metal and Brody Dalle
- Jackson - Johnny Cash and June Carter
Well I hope you like this list. I’ve covered rap, rock and metal here, which is good. There will be songs you like, and songs you don’t. I think in a list as diverse as this, everyone’s going to have a different personal list. If you’ve heard and liked stuff by some of these artists but have not heard these particular collaborations, check them out, they’re all good songs, well I think so anyway!
Do you have any suggestions for Mixtapes? I don't like doing artist Mixtapes to often, so a certain era, genre or distinctive element (like this collaborations one) is what I prefer. Any suggestions are welcome in the comments section below. Until next time, take care.