Monday, February 21, 2011

Noughtie: Best of 2006 (Mixtape)

Here we are, Part 14 of the Noughtie series. This is the seventh Mixtape, celebrating the year of 2006 in rock and metal. When I looked back on the year 2006 I wasn't really that excited about covering it. But, when I made this mixtape, and listened to it back, I really enjoyed it. It was a sleeper year, but it's not like there wasn't good songs coming out, there was.
Also, another interesting thing. Back in the year 2007, I actually made a "Best of 2006" mixtape to celebrate the previous year. I can't find that mixtape at the moment, but it's actually much different to this mixtape. I'll highlight the tracks I think were included, but I can't be sure. Anyway, the rules of the mixtape.
A Mixtape is a playlist of a certain genre, band or era. The list is generally 80 minutes long, the same length of a blank CD, with further recommendations if some of the songs aren't to your taste. Remember kids, downloading is wrong!
Let's get to it, my favourite songs of 2006!

  1. 30/30-150 - Stone Sour
  2. Coming Undone - KoRn
  3. Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold
  4. Vicinity of Obscenity - System of a Down
  5. Shut Me Up - Mindless Self Induglence 
  6. ...To Be Loved - Papa Roach
  7. POD - Tenacious D
  8. Meds - Placebo
  9. No Way Back - Foo Fighters
  10. Here it Goes Again - OK Go
  11. A Town Called Hypocrisy - Lostprophets
  12. Steady, As She Goes - The Raconteurs
  13. Gold Lion* - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  14. Shoot the Runner - Kasabian
  15. Red Flag - Billy Talent
  16. I Want You So Hard (Boy's Bad News) - Eagles of Death Metal
  17. Burn the Witch - The Queens of the Stone Age
  18. White and Nerdy - Weird Al Yankovic
  19. Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis
  20. Knights of Cydonia - Muse
 Don't like some of these songs? Try these five:
  1. The Fallen - Franz Ferdinand
  2. Foxy Foxy - Rob Zombie
  3. Don't Give Up - The Noisettes
  4. Why Won't You Give Me Your Love? - The Zutons
  5. She's Attracted To - The Young Knives
      Green Text = Songs that were in my original 2006 Mixtape I made back in 2007.
      * = I preferred "Turn Into" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs back in my original 2006 mixtape. I've changed it to "Gold Lion" in this one.

      Yes, so as I said, the songs have changed, that's for a few reasons. The first is that I didn't know some of these songs came out that year, for instance "Vicinity of Obscenity" by System of a Down. At the time I never knew it was released as a single. Other songs were discovered at later dates, or just plain forgotten about when I made the original mixtape. Remember I've made a huge amount of research into this Noughtie series, so my resources are vast this time.
      Anyway, what were your favourite songs of 2006? You can comment below if you want to put in your two shillings. I shall be back on Wednesday for one of the biggest listings of the series, my Top 20 favourite albums. I'll see you then.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment