Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Noughtie: My 100 Favourite Songs of the Decade (Part 3)


To view part 1, click here.
To view part 2, click here.

Welcome to Part 3. Look below if you’ve missed the first two parts. This is the biased listing, looking at my personal favourite tracks of the decade. Let’s continue from #80 - #71.

#80. “Gold Lion” – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Released: 21/3/06
Album: Show Your Bones
It’s always been a debate for me, what was the better song, “Gold Lion” or “Turn Into”. I always liked “Gold Lion”, but not really loved it, where as I always had a soft spot for “Turn Into”. Yet as time went on, the roles started to reverse, I now prefer the first single off the album to the second. It’s always been seen that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs started to mature and tweak their sound starting from this band, and their attempts have made them a more popular, if not more indie sounding band rather than a gritty post-punk, art-rock band. Regardless, I like this band and this is one of their better songs.

#79. “Bitches” – Mindless Self Indulgence
Released: 4/4/00
Album: Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy
Bitches is a very simple song, by this silly yet awesome band called Mindless Self Indulgence. Little Jimmy Urine talks about how “bitches” know how awesome he is at whatever he does. It’s a very silly song with silly lyrics but I love the music, I love the typical MSI style and sound that goes with this song. As I said it’s simple, stupid. But it’s still a great song, and it’s MSI at their immature best.

#78. “Spitfire” – The Prodigy
Released: 4/4/05
Album: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Exactly five years after MSI released “Bitches”, The Prodigy released “Spitfire”. It’s not important but an interesting observation on my part. Anyway! Spitfire is one of the most popularly played dance tracks of the decade, especially in clubs. This song was huge when it came out, it’s probably The Prodigy’s biggest hit of the decade. Juliette Lewis, like in “Hotride”, provides the vocals for the song, and does a great job. This is one of those dance tracks that just have to be played LOUD. The bass is just fantastic to listen to when done appropriately.

#77. “Fix Up, Look Sharp” – Dizzee Rascal
Released: 18/8/03
Album: Boy In Da Corner
Dizzee Rascal’s second single was the song that turned heads really, “I Luv U” set the tone for his rise, but this definitely made people seek this young alternative rapper out. His “propa Cockney” skills, penetrating “The Big Beat” which is sampled in the back ground, a fantastic song to sample may I add, really made people think we had a rising British star on our hands. And since then, this young lad Dizzee has continued to rise to be just that, a very good, promising young British artist. The sky is the limit for this man.

#76. “Bad Things” – Jace Everett
Released: 27/9/05
Album: Jace Everett
Full credit has to go to Gary Calamar, the man in charge of True Blood’s music direction and chosen tracks, for Jace Everett’s slow rise in popularity. This song barely surfaced anywhere back in 2005 when it was released. However Gary Calamar liked it, bought/downloaded the song and three years later whilst playing his music on random, heard it again. He loved it and decided to use it as the main theme for True Blood. The rest is history. It’s a brilliant track, and as someone who is not too huge on country music, it just sounds so good.

#75. “Red Flag” – Billy Talent
Released: 11/9/06
Album: Billy Talent II
Yep, so on the five year anniversary of the horrific 9/11 attacks, Billy Talent release this fantastic track. There’s no connection, just another odd observation I noticed whilst writing. This is the only Billy Talent song on this listing, it’s probably their best single, but I do like their stuff, despite the many similarities they may have with a lot emo bands. I make a good exception to Billy Talent as musically, they’re a very good band, and put a good amount of modern punk into their stuff. Red Flag just sounds great, and the video is very good too, which you can see below.

#74. “Paper Planes” - MIA
Released: 11/2/08
Album: Kala
I haven’t seen Slumdog Millionaire. It’s one of those films that I’d like to see, yet don’t have much urgency to do so. Yet this song was played a lot around the time the film came out, and I listened with intrigue to it mostly. I never knew who MIA was and I never knew the name of the song. But when I was doing some research on the decade of music that I’m currently talking about, this song was chosen as one of the highlights of the decade, in many difference forms of music journalism, that’s freelance, magazines and also on satellite television. I saw the name of the song pop up a few times and then remembered what the song was. After that, I really started to like it, and listened to it a lot. I still play it quite often now; it’s a great little track by the alternative rapper. Kudos to her.

#73. “Lose Yourself” – Eminem
Released: 22/10/02
Album: Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture 8 Mile
“Lose Yourself” for me, is possibly Eminem’s greatest rap. I wasn’t too keen on the song when I first heard it; I thought it was okay, but nothing special. But then the more I hear it, the more I love it, the rapping, the lyrics, it’s great stuff by Eminem. He really put a lot of effort into the song, it’s sound, and wanted to make a good quality, completely non-controversial rap song to help with his film. He succeeded in doing that greatly, and “Lose Yourself” is the end product.

#72. “30-30/150” – Stone Sour
Released: 1/8/06
Album: Come What(ever) May
I’m not the greatest Stone Sour fan in the world, I much prefer Slipknot’s musical direction personally. However this song is very good, and is a good favourite to listen to in clubs as well. The funny thing about this song is the amount of speculation around about the origin of the song’s title, no one really knows in honesty, and Corey Taylor has been relatively cryptic about it.

#71. “No You Girls” – Franz  Ferdinand
Released: 6/4/09
Album: Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
An underrated Franz Ferdinand song in honesty, I find it quite disappointing that Franz Ferdinand haven’t been able to maintain their popularity as the decade wore on. Their songs, as I said before have been of decent, consistent quality and I thoroughly enjoy their music. This is the second single from their third album, and it’s probably the most popular song off it, but it never got into the Top 20 in the charts, which in contrast to earlier material is a disappointment. But it’s a great track, one of their best singles, in my opinion. 

Here we go one part gone, another to come tomorrow. Here’s a quick wrap up, because… well… because I can! See you tomorrow I hope!

To view part 4, click here.
To view part 5, click here.
To view part 6, click here.
To view part 7, click here.
To view part 8, click here.
To view part 9, click here.
To view part 10, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment