Thursday, May 28, 2015

My Top 100 Favourite Music Videos: #16

#16: "Telegram Sam" - Bauhaus
Release Date: 1980
Director: Mick Calvert
Fun Fact: This is not the only glam rock cover version Bauhaus have done, they also covered "Ziggy Stardust" by David Bowie!
It's funny looking back at some of these videos. Especially the ones that bring you right back to your childhood. As an adult you sometimes look back and think, why did I love this video so much? And why did it strike me so strongly as a kid?

With this video, you may not understand why it's so high in my list. The main reason is that image below. The image of Peter Murphy, being stuck between an extremely thin wall. It just... blew my mind when I was a kid. I was terrified. I don't even have claustrophobia and never have - but just this image of this man stuck between a tiny wall was just terrifying to me!

Looking back at it now I see a pretty damn awesome video, one of the true first "goth" videos. Bauhaus were one of the pioneers of goth rock and this is also one of my all time favourite cover versions. Bauhaus took T-Rex's "Telegram Sam", sped it up, punked it up, goth'ed it up, and spat it out again to make one of the most amazing cover versions you'll ever hear... in my opinion anyway! Give it a listen and watch the video, it may not be as good looking back on it now, but it's still a pretty cool video and it's awesome to see what "goth" truly should look like!
Note: This is the second and last video from the year 1980 in this list.


Here is the video for your enjoyment!

Click here to see #15 on the list or here for #17!

No comments:

Post a Comment