Monday, March 30, 2020

My Top 50 Favourite Resident Evil Moments: #40 to #31

Welcome to Part 2 of 5 in what is my Top 50 Favourite Resident Evil Moments. If you missed from #50 to #41 then click hereLet's get straight to it!

#40 - Meeting El Gigante - Resident Evil 4

El Gigante may be based on the Cave Troll from Lord of the Rings but that takes nothing away from the fact that this boss from Resi 4 is excellent. He's intimidating, especially further along in the game when you go against two of them, but he's also a very fun boss to go against. Shooting at his head, dodging his massive fists, then running away before he throws trees at you - it's insane and entertaining. The boss fight was so popular that they made it a boss fight in Resi 5 as well!


#39 - Ada's Trap - Resident Evil 6
As stated earlier, Resi 6 was the weakest entry in the main series and by a considerable margin. So much so that this is the third and final entry into this Top 50 involving the game. For me, this was a huge moment in an otherwise poor game. Ada Wong has always played nicely on that line between good and evil, both in Resi 2 and in Resi 4. So when we saw she was playing a big part in Resi 6 we expected a similar performance.

That was until she throw an bomb of viruses at all of Chris Redfield's men, turning them into gooey monsters. It was the first time we really saw her doing something truly evil, rather than it being something mischievous or debatable because she was following orders. I've always been a huge Ada fan and I was like "noooo!" when this happened.

Of course, later on we learn that it wasn't Ada but someone called Carla Radames, who was impersonating Ada and, basically, was an Ada clone, but it takes nothing away from this moment at the time and how you felt about it.



#38 - Meeting Yawn - Resident Evil
Ah, Resident Evil's first ever boss. Yawn was, and still is, a bastard. I've played Resi 1 countless times and Yawn still gives me a small amount of anxiety whenever I face him. Is he scary? Not really, not beyond the first time you face him anyway. But he is dangerous. All it takes is one bite from him and that's it, you're poisoned. Depending on who you play as in Jill or Chris and what actions you have taken to that point, getting poisoned by Yawn can make life difficult for you. It's best to avoid getting bit but that's a major task. Avoiding him on the way in isn't too bad. But when you try and collect the Moon Crest and escape he basically traps you in his little corner. So Yawn, despite all of the times I've faced him, is a pain in the ass and I think my escape percentage without getting poisoned is probably around 10%. He's a very memorable boss, being the first one in the series I'm sure everyone agrees.


#37 - Crimson Heads - Resident Evil Remake
I remember that I didn't play the Remake of Resident Evil 1 for, I dunno, maybe a year after it came out? I didn't have a Gamecube when it was released so hearing of the REmake got me excited but I was also gutted I'd not get to play it for a while. But I remember one of my good friends telling me about Crimson Heads, and how they're regular zombies that come back from the dead... again... and they're much more dangerous. When I eventually played the REmake they met my expectations. I mostly run away from them, because they run so damn fast and can cripple your health if you're not careful. Of course you can take care of them with a lighter and some fuel but there's not much of that around. They're pretty terrifying for sure!



#36 - Tyrant vs Birkin - Resident Evil 2 Remake

I touched on this in my Resident Evil 2 Remake article (which you can read by clicking here), but this was the fight we never asked for, but oh boy are we happy we saw it! Something some fans may or may not have thought while playing the original game is, what would happen if William Birking fought Tyrant? Well, we got the answer in the Remake, and it wasn't even close. William Birkin rips Tyrant's chest out in one piece and it looks insane. I LOVED this moment from Resi 2 Remake. I never asked for it but I'm happy we saw it!



#35 - The Gallery Room - Resident Evil
This moment brings me WAY back to when I first played Resi 1. On the surface, this room and this scenario isn't scary or anything special, so if you disagree with this entry I understand. But don't forget, this is my personal list! The crows in Resi 1 were pretty scary at the time. One crow you can deal with, but when around 3, 4 or 5 of them come at you, they can create havoc and really cause damage.

And then you have The Gallery Room. Which is FULL of crows. If you shoot at them, they'll come at you. If you get the puzzle in the room wrong they will come at you. Get it right and they'll leave you alone. But when I first went into this room, way back when I first played this game, I didn't know any of this. All I saw was a room full of crows. And walking through it, trying not to disturb these damn birds... I crapped myself! So it's a nostalgia moment for me, talking about how I felt going into this room for the first time, hence its inclusion in this list.



#34 - The First Tape - Resident Evil 7
If you've played the demo of Resident Evil 7 then you'll be also familiar with "the first tape", because it's basically the same thing. A team of ghost hunters enter the Baker house because of rumours of it being haunted and they get killed off. That's what happens in a nutshell. But playing the RE7 demo, or playing through the "tape" in the game really sets up the game very well. It's creepy and cheesy at the same, and it's all about what happens in the end of the tape, when we see one of the guys get killed off, with blood streaming from their eyeballs and mouth. It's brutal and it's classic Baker family shit. I love it.



#33 - Entering the Village - Resident Evil 4
Entering the village in Resi 4 is simply one of the best and most memorable moments in Resi history. No matter how much Resi you've played, if you've played Resi 4 in the first time and you get to the village, nothing prepares you for what's about to come. Arriving in that village, seeing all the locals, it's "backwards Hillbilly murdering village" vibes all over. And seeing all of them, coming at you, is just INSANE. In previous Resi games, you can have what, three or four zombies take you on at once? How many people are in that screenshot? And there's more in other parts of this area too!

And then you have the Chainsaw guy. Run into one of the houses and a cutscene plays out where you hear and see all the villagers surround the house. Then you hear the revs of a chainsaw. Then his lunatic runs at you! It's just madness and I love it.


#32 - Meeting Mimicry Marcus - Resident Evil 0
Resi 0 overall doesn't do that much to further what happens in the games that were released before it, but the addition of leeches was, erm, interesting. And Mimicry Marcus enemies are just disgusting. They're a pain in the butt to deal with and follow you everywhere. When you meet the first one in the train it's a fantastic visual and it's pretty much the best scene in the entire game.


#31 - The First Zombie - Resident Evil 2 Remake
When they announced that they were remaking Resi 2 I was excited. Then there was radio silence for years. Then at E3 2018 they showed the trailer and they showed the first zombie killing a police officer. And it was absolutely GRUESOME. Just look at the level of detail in the GIF below. It's insane. I've never seen such detail in a game before, when it comes to this level of gore. We've come so far since the days of 1996 when we saw our first ever zombie. Seeing the first zombie in 2019 in RE2 Remake shows just how far. I love the level of detail. It's sick and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment