Thursday, June 21, 2018

My Top 50 Favourite Playstation 1 Games: #23

If you missed #24 click here.

#23 - FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
Released: 1997
Genre: Sports
Rating: ****1/4 stars
Best Moment: I love the intro video with "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba. All the FMVs are unique in this game, compared to other football games anyway!


I played this a couple of weeks ago live on YouTube actually, in preparation for this year's World Cup. If you're interested in seeing what that was like, click here. Give us a subscribe while you're at it!

This was the first FIFA game I played on the PS1. Of course I played them on the Mega drive as well, but this was the first time I'd seen a 3D football game. I remember borrowing it from a friend and just absolutely loving it. It was so innovative at the time for me, seeing the graphics, creating you're own players, winning a World Cup too. It was weird but also wonderful to see the camera angle actually in the correct place on the side of the pitch rather than vertically like back on the Mega Drive days. I remember seeing all the amazing FMVs showing you the stadiums in France, I'd never seen a football game do that before, and frankly, I've not seen it since either. EA Sports put a lot of effort into FIFA Road to World Cup 98, and you could argue they've never put so much effort into a football game since, because the improvements year upon year are minimal, or at least it feels that way!

If you're wanting to know what came in at #22 click here!


For the latest updates on my work, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment