Thursday, April 23, 2015

My Top 100 Favourite Music Videos: #51

#51: "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades" - Brand New
Release Date: 2003
Director: Marc Webb
Fun Fact: The phrase actually comes from the latin phrase "Sic transit gloria mundi" which translates to "Thus passes the glory of the world". It was referenced in a 1998 film called Rushmore!
What a video. This truly is a magnificent video. I'm not a big fan of Brand New, and in honesty, I'd probably not give this song any time of day if it wasn't for the fact that I've loved this video ever since I first saw it, and in turn have listened and watched the video enough times to end up really liking the song. Seriously, watch this video if you haven't before.

You could make an arguement that this concept has been done before. But I can't really say I've seen it done in music video format. What would you do if you had the power to control people? This video explores that theme very well. What I love about this video is that the protagonist is running from someone... or something. We don't know what, we don't know why. The video leaves that open to interpretation. He finds himself in this bar and he starts to realise he can control people's actions. He takes full advantage of this... but is it such a good omen? I just love this video, and it definitely deserves your time of day.


Here's the video for your enjoyment!

Click here to see #50 on the list or here for #52!

No comments:

Post a Comment