Release Date: 2001
Director: Jamie Hewlett
Fun Fact: There's lots of tributes to film and games in this video... see below for more details!
What a video. I fondly remember this video coming out and blowing everyone away, just because of how cool it was. Damon Albarn had left Blur and created this cartoon band out of nowhere, creating a lot of intrigue. Then this comes out and it's just amazing.
There's lots of tributes and homages to different things in this video, some you may have picked up on, others you may not have:
- The obvious is the reference to the legendary actor and director, Clint Eastwood.
- The "howling" at the beginning of the song is a reference to the howling in the beginning of his film, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".
- The Japanese text at the start is the same text at the beginning of the film "Dawn of the Dead".
- The main singer 2-D is wearing what looks like a T-Virus shirt, which is a reference to the Resident Evil games.
- The guitarist Murdoc gets grabbed at the crotch at one point - this is homage to the film Braindead when the scene happens in that film as well.
- Another obvious one is the zombie apes dancing in the same style as Michael Jackson in "Thriller".