Wednesday, April 01, 2015

My Top 100 Favourite Music Videos: #73

#73: "Cars" - Gary Numan
Release Date: 1979
Director: Derek Burbidge
Fun Fact: The song is actually about how a car can make you feel safe; lock the doors and drive. It was inspired by a moment of road rage that Gary Numan was a victim of.
Another video that brings me back to my childhood yadda yadda yadda. But it's the truth! I remember I was obsessed with this song when I was a kid. Even though I was a late eighties/early nineties kid, this song resonated with me; the new wave and electronic music felt out of this world, and I truly, had never heard anything like it before in my life, even if I was listening to it over 10 years later.

And the video is just great. This is the first video in my list that starts a consecutive list of videos all from 1979 to 2014. There's only two videos on the list before 1979. And this video, for 1979, was incredible. The way they used the technology to make three Gary Numan's appear at the same time looked pretty sweet, and of course, Gary Numan was a scary looking dude... in a good way! Sure, the video looks bad by todays standards, but for 1979 this was the bomb.
Note: This is the first and last video from the year 1979 in this list.

Here's the video for your enjoyment!

Click here to see #72 on the list or here for #74!

No comments:

Post a Comment